[hpsdr] Thetis observations. New protocol issue.

J Gray jlgray.kr3ep at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 19:27:01 PDT 2016

Good day all.  Have been testing Thetis for a while now. My setup is Dell 790 with 3.2 gig i5 and 8 gig ddr3 memory. Most works well. I can run it at a max of 768000 sample rate. Running it at max of 1536000 the CPU usage skyrockets to 50 percent at which point on my system it fails. But at 768000 it runs fine at about 25-30 percent CPU usage.  I have used several of the transmit profiles, conventional and AM work very well as does default and DX contest. I run alot of ESSB with widths from 4 to 20 kc wide. Using the conventional or AM profiles it sounds great according to on air reports. The ESSB profile I have been told is distorted.  The best sound from on air reports is to run Voicemeeter Banana with my headset and use the AM transmit profile. Overall my opinioon is that it works well with a bug or 2 but have found a workaround I am happy with.  As for the new protocol. One issue. I run my radio through an unmanaged gigabit switch. I have a static IP set in the firmware. If I disconnect my switch from the router and just leave the rig and pc connected, APIPA does not appear to work, nor does thetis find the radio. But as soon as I plug my switch back into the router all is well. Jeff