[hpsdr] New protocol , new apache hardware?

Helmut dc6ny at gmx.de
Tue Nov 15 01:45:52 PST 2016

Hi Joe,

You got my applause yesterday, but concerning to your last comments I’ve to disagree in some points:

1.	I don’t see that big technological distance between the Atlas based system and the single-board platforms. Not all people really need higher sampling rates than 192 ksps or a high numbers of RX- ‘slices’. The important features like MDS, SFDR or RMDR etc. are as identical as the used key components.

2.	Of course Warren’s PS is working very effective and reliable employing the two separate RX with extensive filtering and consuming a lot of FPGA room. But is this way of sample correlation really necessary at least for the linearization of ‘well-tempered’ amplifiers? I believe no. Alfred, HB9EPU, verified the predistortion with Mercury and Penny on the Atlas bus in a perfect quality. BTW the second Mercury on his bus is employed for diversity reception. Not the same, but similar is the approach of the Red Pitaya gang. This simple $ 250.-board is capable of predistortion and diversity. I personally use my beloved Atlas system in an undersampling application directly on 2m and as ‘base-band radio’ for my microwave transverters. Atlas is and will be a great experimental platform!

3.	As mentioned before I totally agree that we need progress and challenging projects in the openHPSDR community. But what will happen if Phil’s DFC-approach without any DSP in the ‘radio section’ and only a small FPGA for interface control shows a technological and economic superiority? Should all previous concepts with large and expensive FPGAs onboard become obsolete? I think no. All HPSDR enthusiasts should be sure that they can enjoy their built or bought setup also in the future, independent how far they have followed the development.

73, Helmut, DC6NY

---