[hpsdr] Receiver Evolution Complete?

Scott Traurig scott.traurig at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 13:31:11 PDT 2016

Paul,

With respect to radio evolution, there is form, and then there is function.
A given function can be accomplished by different forms. Taking the latest
likely stage in the evolution of form, DUC to DFC, this is not going to
cause any substantive differences in functionality or receiver or
transmitter RF performance. It will cause changes in size, weight, power
and cost, but those are not relevant to the discussion of what near term
functional improvements in software represent the biggest bang for the buck
for both "experimenter" and "mainstream" (to use a more polite term) hams.

I would much rather have software improvements to my "old" DUC hardware
than live with the same exact functionality and performance but have super
cool new DFC hardware.

Don't get me wrong--DFC is *the* future. It ought to result, ultimately, in
more and better software and the near demise of firmware content. But,
perhaps selfishly, I'd be happier with new UI functions in the near to mid
term.

73,

Scott/w-u-2-o