[hpsdr] RP board design

Steven Wilson wevets at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 04:08:50 PDT 2016

Helmut, and Terry,

I've been working on a Homebrew RP transceiver design for most of this
year. I'm on the 4th iteration of the board.

Today I also took my first stab at creating a github repository.  You'll
find the Kicad schematics and gerbers for the board there:

https://github.com/ka6s/rp_adapter

The board is based heavily on work done by OpenHPSDR.  I've incorporated
the LPU, T/R relay and 1W PA design from Penelope into the board. (Note -
any layout issues etc are mine as these are complete re-layouts).  The
board has an 18db-ish LNA incorporated into it along with control for an
external RX/TX filter.  It is BUILT to match up with the cabling required
by the EB104.ru HERMES RX filter, and their 300W LPF board.  The boards are
about $100ish US each -so the price is right.

I'm using a Raspberry Pi 3 + LCD to provide a GUI control of the unit
running John Melton, G0ORX's PiHPSDR code. Here is a video of the basic
unit if you want to see what I've put together.

https://www.facebook.com/dontwantemailhere/videos/vb.1345107848/10210568670396717/?type=2&theater

I have been having a BLAST working on this.  It has been frustrating and
rewarding at the same time ;-)

One thing I'll mention that you can't see in the video - there is a 9:1
UnUn between the LNA and the RP. This is a MUST.  It is a practical
solution to the RPs high input impedance.

Hope you find it interesting.

73 de Steve KA6S

(and many many many thanks to Phil, John Melton, and all the others that
have put the OpenHPSDR systems together!)