[hpsdr] CPU overload.

Roger Rehr W3SZ w3sz73 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 07:24:02 PDT 2016

HI Jeff,

Although your problem may well relate to CPU utilization, I was struck
by the fact that you indicated that you are running the anniversary
update.  I had problems with garbled transmit audio here after doing
that update that were corrected by reverting to the prior OS version.
Details follow.

I run both Hermes and the old Atlas/Metis/Penelope/Mercury hardware here
[two hermes and 5 old systems] with each radio having its own computer.
The systems are controlled remotely from an eighth computer.

The Windows 10 anniversary update [1607  14383.105] caused a problem
with data streaming on 6 of the 7 radio computers such that my transmit
audio was broken up intermittently.  Folks receiving my audio thought
that I had a bad PTT connection, but the problem was that the network
transmit audio streams were being disrupted.

I reverted from the Windows 10 anniversary update to the build that I
was using prior to the anniversary update [1511  10586.545] and the
problem with garbled transmit audio was cured on all 6 machines.

The 6 affected machines were all old homebrew core2duo machines. The
unaffected radio machine was a one year old Dell.  The remote client
machine was a homebrew I5 built last year.  I suspect that the
difference in results on the different machines lies in the NICs.  The
newer machines were unaffected, but all of the older machines were affected.

The Windows 10 Anniversary Update may or may not be your problem, but in
any case it is something for others to watch out for.

I had NO other indication that there was anything wrong with the
anniversary update in any of the machines except for this streaming
issue on transmit.  Interestingly, I did not notice problems with the
streamed receive audio.

These results are with my homebrew openHPSDR software [based on
KissKonsole] so the results don't necessarily apply to other software.
But I suspect that they do.  Fortunately, rolling back from Windows 10
version 1607 to 1511 was simple to do, and fixed the issue for me.

73,

Roger Rehr W3SZ