[hpsdr] CPU overload.

Jeffrie Cook jeffrie at talktalk.net
Sat Sep 10 13:39:32 PDT 2016

Although I've noticed this before, I've not really looked into it until now;
when I'm running HPSDR and open up a web browser (Chrome or Edge), the
speech quality becomes garbled for a few seconds.  PowerSDR in its bottom
left-hand corner shows CPU usage to be typically 25%, Chrome whilst loading
up shows a CPU usage also of 25% which rapidly drops to 1%, (those last two
figures I've derived from Task Manager).  However during the few seconds
that the web browser takes to load up a page the overall CPU usage zooms up
to 100%, but I cannot see what is actually using the cycles, and of course
it is during those few seconds that speech quality becomes garbled.  Now I
realise I'm missing something basic, but would appreciate one of you good
folks pointing out to me what it is.

My computer is an old (probably 10 years old) Dell OptiPlex 745 which I've
modified quite significantly.  I run Windows 10, the anniversary edition, I
have upgraded the graphics card to be Windows 10 capable, I have an upgraded
sound card, I have 8 GB of RAM, storage is on an SSD drive, and the
processor is an Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q 6700 at 2.66 GHz.  The operating
system is 64-bit.

Despite the age of my computer, I would have thought that the modifications
I've done would be enough to run as above without loading the CPU up to
100%.  What am I missing please.  Thank you.

Jeff Cook, G0AFQ.