[hpsdr] Hermes/Angelia and Ethernet problems

Mike Tubby mike at tubby.org
Wed Sep 28 15:52:43 PDT 2016

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the reply.

Firstly the illegal MAC address issue could be resolved by implementing
a correct "locally administered MAC address":

     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address

so starting the MAC with 0x02 or 0x06 etc.  an example might be 0x06
0x06 0x06 0x06 0x06 0x06

Next, I have tried the Angelia in several configurations here's what I
have found:

     a) single Netgear FS108 switch with SDR PC, Angelia, DHCP server -
works

     b) single Netgear FS116 switch with SDR PC, Angelia, DHCP server -
works

     c) multiple Netgear GS724 switch with SDR PC, Angelia, DHCP server
distributed - doesn't work

     d) single Netgear GS724 switch with SDR PC, Angelia, DHCP server -
doesn't work

     e) distributed system with PC on one GS724, DHCP server on another
GS724 (connected via trunk) and Angelia connected to either switch -
doesn't work

     f) distributed system with PC on one GS724, DHCP server on another
GS724 (connected via trunk) and Angelia connected to an FS108 that was
already powered on (before the Angelia) and connected to one of the
other two switches  - works most of the time (works 7 times in 10)

 From what I can fathom, the Angelia appears to be happy with
un-manaeged 100Mbps links but either there is a problem with managed
switches, link attributes or timing ...?

Does the Hermes/Angelia/Orion correctly detect link-down and link-up
events?  I ask because I am not sure that un-plugging and re-plugging
the Ethernet on the Angelia causes a DHCP 'DISCOVER' message and
renegotiation to occur?

I also note that the DHCP request send by Angelia (when it is sent) is
devoid of options ... it appears to be a "local lan" only implementation
since it doesn't ask for netmask and default gateway... this suggests
that the Ethernet and IP stack in Angelia is "minimal" and assumes that
it is only going to run on a point-to-point on the same network
segment?  If so then tis is a shame... I have two LANs 192.168.144.0/24
at my end of the house and 192.168.145.0/24 at the other end of the
house.  My firewall/server box deals with this.

To use my Angelia fully it needs to recognise if an IP address is
"outside" the netmask and send it to the default gateway instead ...
this shouldn't be terribly hard to implement with 32-bit work
comparisons in modern FPGAs ... just not sure anyone's bothered?

Mike G8TIC