[hpsdr] cycling of PS

K4KV k4kv at k4kv.com
Fri Aug 4 15:43:27 PDT 2017

Bill,

I see what is happening, and think I know why it is going wrong.

I tried it at 50-100W level, and it works fb with the input attenuator
at 0db.  It also works fb with 12% drive to

the amp and 600W out.

As soon as I exceed that power level, it goes into a cycling mode.  Up
and down flashing all over the place.

I had reported, and others have reported that PSDR does not handle my
6-bit attenuator, but I have a board with

a 5-bit attenuator and it works as it should.  When the program attempts
to start raising the attenuator value to

reduce the PS input level, who knows what the attenuator is really
doing.  I have seen the attenuator in rx mode

jump all over the place, incrementing 1 db at a time.

This 6-bit attenuator does not do this in Thetis, and works well.

I am going to uncheck the auto-attenuate box and try my own attempt at
limiting the PS input signal for full amp

output...

73

Glen K4KV