[hpsdr] "static" predistortion

Hans-Jürgen Hartfuß h.hartfuss at t-online.de
Sat Aug 5 03:12:33 PDT 2017

Hi,
I am the person Warren is mentioning below in his response to Jim.
About three years ago I tried this static approach with my Atlas based
system by carefully measuring the transfer characteristic of a Mosfet PA
with four MRF 150 (EB104, CCI), fitted the transfer function with a
fifth order polynomial and thought by multiplying the input with the
inverse function suitable linearization could be obtained.
Warren provided me with a modified software version which allowed me to
implement the determined parameters into the code.
Basically it worked. In two-tone tests I obtained an improvement in IMD
by up to about 10 dB after careful playing with the various parameters
of the polynomial, which is not bad.
However, at the end I was  not really happy with it, since no coherent
picture resulted. The best correction was not obtained with the
coefficients as derived from the measured transfer characteristic,
that's what most irritated me.
By trial and error, by just playing with the parameters, I could improve
either the IMD3 or IMD5 by up to about 10 dB, however, the situation is
not really reproducible as one might expect, depending on operation
history, band, power, temperature, drive etc. In addition the
improvement could not really be obtained in SSB QSOs.
Thus I gave up and ordered a Hermes board.
73, Hans DL2MDQ