[hpsdr] Hermes_v3.3 released

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Sat Dec 30 23:53:36 PST 2017

Hi Roland,

Thanks for the feedback. I also use my Atlas based transceiver as my main
rig since its normally the only rig that does not have test code in it.

Also thanks for reminding me about the PL259 plugs.

I've used the standard solder on PL259 plugs for many years.  Since you have
to apply a lot of heat to the body of the plug in order to solder the outer
braid I'm always concerned about damaging the coax.  I much prefer the N
type connectors which use a compression method of attaching the braid and a
much less prone to damaging the coax.  However, at HF most rigs use PL259
sockets.

I recently came across compression ( or Clamp) PL259 plugs on ebay.  These
are of Chinese origin but a very well made and economical, particularly in
10 off quantities.

There are a number of companies offering these and if you enter:

Pack 10 x UHF PL259 male clamp Plug connector for LMR400 RG8 RG213 RG214
cable

into ebay you will find a number of suppliers.  The company I purchased from
was called rfbat but the product looks the same from many companies.

73 Phil...VK6PH