[hpsdr] "FPGA Floor Planning"

Rob Frohne rob.frohne at wallawalla.edu
Sat Feb 11 19:29:15 PST 2017

Hi Barry, et. al.,

There are several others on theHermes Lite
<https://github.com/softerhardware/Hermes-Lite/wiki>project which
started from this one.  Openness has been a fundamental of hpsdr since
the beginning.  Amateur radio is a hobby and I for one think the
wantabees are important.

I'm not an expert with Altera's tools, and despite what Scotty suggests,
I wouldn't put it past Altera to make it so that if your Verilog was
planned with the professional tools, it might not always be able to be
built with free tools.  I made a mistake in the past of using the really
nice professional tools to develop some software, and the tools made it
easy to develop, but I had to keep paying for updates of those tools in
order to maintain the software, and the expense finally became more than
the software I was using was worth.  I ditched the professional tools,
and rewrote my software using open tools.  The new software had to be
completely different.  None of my original work carried over.  I will
never again rely on non free tools, and I prefer to rely on open source
tools if I can.

In any case, it needs to be entirely clear and totally sure that there
is no "lock in" on the professional tools.

73,

Rob

KL7NA

On 02/12/2017 01:05 PM, Barry Jablonski wrote:

> Hi Helmut,
>
> Who is developing FPGA designs (btw, it's VHDL/VeriLog design
> information -- not "firmware") besides two people?
> Those developers need real tools.
>
> The wantabees aren't developing anything.
>
> Wake up.
>
> Barry
> WB2ZXJ

Rob Frohne, Ph.D. P.E.