[hpsdr] High S meter reading on noise floor.

Warren C. Pratt warren at wpratt.com
Mon Jun 12 18:07:36 PDT 2017

Hi Ari,

"Sig Avg" is the correct S-meter setting to read noise.  "Signal" gives
you a peak reading (appropriate for signals) while "Sig Avg" gives you
an average reading.

The S-meter reads the noise power within the width of the bandpass
filter, 1.5Khz in your example.  The panadapter shows the noise power
within each frequency "bin".  The width (bandwidth) of the bin is
displayed on the Setup/Display/RXx tabs.  To correctly read noise on the
panadapter, you should choose the "Average" detector and either "None"
or "Recursive" as your averaging mode. If the "1Hz BW" box is checked,
the result displayed on the panadapter will be normalized to a 1 Hz
bandwidth.  The noise readings of the S-meter and the panadapter are
therefore related by the equation:

S_reading = Panadapter_reading + 10*log10 (bandpass_width /
panadapter_bin_width)

I realize all that is a bit complicated.  However, if you master the
various settings, your SDR is an excellent spectrum analyzer for
accurately measuring both signals and noise.

73,

Warren  NR0V