[hpsdr] GPSDO change

Mike Seguin n1jez at burlingtontelecom.net
Fri Mar 3 11:09:52 PST 2017

Glen,

Looking good! Give it time. It needs to get an ephemeris.

The three strings we want to look at are GPGGA, GPRMC and GPGSA. The
GPGGA string will start with a series of commas followed by the number
0. If you have a valid lock, the number will be either 1 for a valid GPS
fix or 2 if you’re using DGPS and have a solution. This only indicates
that you have a fix. What we really want is a 3D fix. When you look at
the GPRMC string, the V near the beginning of the string indicates an
error. An A in this position would indicate a valid solution. The best
string is GPGSA. The second field in the sentence is the one you want.
If there is a 3 in this position, it would indicate a valid 3D GPS fix
and good 10 kHz output.

Mike

On 3/3/2017 2:03 PM, K4KV wrote:

> OK, something is happening now, after several minutes after restoring
> patch antenna power:
>
> N,11356.2280,W,0.000,0.0,030317,9.7
>
> that is NOT my lat and long, but it is not zero
>
> which frame has the '3'?
>
> I see $GPGSV,3,1,12,22,90,173,47,01,32,222,,23,,000,,29,,000,*7F
>
> 73
>
> Glen K4KV

Mike, N1JEZ
"A closed mouth gathers no feet"