[hpsdr] New Hermes 2M Board.

Scott Traurig scott.traurig at gmail.com
Sun May 28 15:38:29 PDT 2017

The Max 10 is far too small. Even the current Orion Cyclone IV part is
running out of space.

It needs to be a newer Cyclone part, at least.

There needs to be RS-232 access to the FPGA for debugging. Not having a
simple debug port makes it difficult when the MAC and PHY go sideways.

The SPI issue is that it's not really SPI. It's just a primitive, open
loop, serial to parallel interface. It needs to be a true SPI
implementation with read-back capabilities. Having a true SPI
implementation will allow it to be very easy to provision other SPI
devices, like ADCs and DACs, throughout the system to obtain voltage,
current, and temperature status information, run fan controllers, etc.
Indeed, there should probably be at least two SPI buses implemented, just
in case!

Hallelujah on putting a digitally controlled attenuator after the DAC!!!
Been saying this for years!

I would like to see provisions for expansion to multiple additional ADC and
DAC channels, perhaps on a future daughtercard. Imagine running a 4-square
array with four amps and fine grain control over phasing...

73,

Scott/w-u-2-o