[hpsdr] Hermes-Lite 2 and the Hermes Redesign with 5W Amp

Steve Haynal steve at softerhardware.com
Mon May 29 10:28:22 PDT 2017

Hi Kjell,

As you probably know, the AFT05MS003N is not rated SWR rugged above 9V. How
do you plan to deal with that? How do you plan to dissipate the extra heat?
We have found heat sinking of these devices challenging. Claudio has tested
up to 9V.

It is tempting to go with Altium because you have an expert, but I strongly
encourage you to evaluate whether openhpsdr wants to use proprietary tools
when good open source alternatives exist and are shown to work. This is one
major reason why I have never joined openhpsdr and TAPR. Many key openhpsdr
design files and methodologies are not open source. If openhpsdr truly
wants to call itself an open source project accessible to all, then now is
the time to make the choice to go with a more open source tool flow.

One other Hermes-Lite feature you may be interested in is LVDS
communication between mutliple modules. We plan to synchronize receivers
that way. The LVDS on the Cyclone IV we use is not that fast, we expect
~152 mb/s, but the stamdard LVDS on the Cyclone10 and Spartan7 will be
faster.

73,

Steve
KF7O