[hpsdr] 12bit vs 16bit ADC (Was Re: Hpsdr Digest, Vol 141, Issue 5)

Steve Haynal steve at softerhardware.com
Tue Nov 14 21:58:57 PST 2017

Hi Ben,

I agree that much of the work done by HPSDR is top quality. I am very
grateful to the FPGA firmware authors and schematic engineers for sharing
their work. Also, I understand your need for the best possible measurements
given your research. I found several very interesting hits on the net for
your research, including this one
<http://www.arrl.org/news/nvis-research-paper-available>.

I would like to hear more use cases where a 16 bit ADC is clearly
advantageous over a 12 bit ADC. It is my opinion that for most typical use,
a 12 bit ADC is just fine. I've been working on and using Hermes-Lites for
years now, and I've had access to a Hermes in the past, and have seen
little difference.

In terms of dynamic range, at my QTH in Portlandia, I do not see ADC
clipping when running with a full size 40M antenna. This is with the LNA
gain set to adequate levels (+12 dB to + 20dB) and the antenna connected
without preselection filtering.

I often use a ZM-2 <https://steadynet.com/emtech/> Z-match tuner which does
provide some preselection. With this in place, I can increase the LNA gain
to +36dB (far beyond the point of better returns) before I see ADC
clipping. This means that even the ZM-2 preselection is giving me another
16 to 20dB of dynamic headroom, or 2 to 3 bits. As expected, preselection
does provide more dynamic headroom when and if needed.

Where is the noise that preselection filters out really coming from? Are
preselectors for every band required? Jim N2ADR (author of Quisk, creator
of HiQSDR predecessor) made an interesting experiment where he adds just a
single HPF at ~3MHz to his Hermes-Lite. He found that just this single
filter provides very similar results to preselection in terms of dynamic
range extension. Because of this, we are adding a single switchable HPF to
the Hermes-Lite 2 filter board. Jim also added bandscope and an ADC usage
indicator to Quisk.

With regards to the current SDR landscape, many new offerings are going
with 12-bit. Consider the ASIC used in limesdr, or the new RFSOC
<https://www.xilinx.com/products/silicon-devices/soc/rfsoc.html> from
Xilinx. These also run at a higher sampling rate so do benefit from
processing gains.

With regards to cost, one must pay a pretty penny more for equivalent
16-bit when compared to 12-bit, so there better be clear advantages. For
example, we can build the Hermes-Lite 2 in small quantities in China for
under $200 per unit. This includes the 5W PA. (All design files, including
fabrication bids, are posted on the github site.) My research of higher bit
ADCs indicates I could never come near that cost in small quantities.

And if one is willing to do diversity, are 4 12-bit units better than 1
16-bit unit for the same cost? If I remember correctly, one gains 3dB
dynamic range (not 6dB as might be thought as noise increases too) for each
doubling of the number of synchronized receivers. This does not factor in
directional gains. This brings the effective number of bits of 4 12-bit
ADCs (~11) much closer to the ENOB of a single 16-bit ADC (~13).

Clock phase noise is less restrictive and hence less expensive for 12-bit
too, assuming comparable sampling frequencies.

There are other considerations than just dynamic range and price. For
example, other types of distortion and nonlinearities in the ADC and
front-end, some of which are independent of the number of bits. But again,
I'd like to know how often these differences matter in practice.

I'd like to know when and how often a 16-bit unit has led to a contact that
would have been missed with a 12-bit unit, or even when a 16-bit unit led
to a better operating experience over a 12-bit unit. I'm not looking for
lab measurements, but actual qualitative use experiences, as that is what
counts most in my mind. I don't care if my car can do 200 miles per hour if
the highest speed limits in my driving range are 70 miles per hour...

There are people of this list with access to both 14-bit and 16-bit HPSDR
units, and maybe even some 12-bit units. What differences have you seen in
practice?

73,

Steve
KF7O