[hpsdr] PiHPSDR on RPi3 running Ubuntu Mate

Bob Stricklin bstrick at N5BRG.COM
Mon Oct 16 14:44:46 PDT 2017

Thanks for the feedback Laurence.

I did try the "retry discovery" many times. I can see the pihpsdr send the UDP request on 255.255.255.255 every time and I see both radios reply using wireshark.

As I mentioned it may be coming back too fast and since it is a UDP packet just not getting picked up by pihpsdr on RP3. This would fit the behavior you mentioned also.

I have test router setup with no other devices on the network but the two radios and the pihpsdr. I have put special rules in the firewall but they should not be needed and the Windows system does work. The network drivers on windows may be flagging the UDP packet differently.

Bob  N5BRG

-----Original Message-----
From: Laurence Barker [mailto:laurence at nicklebyhouse.co.uk]
Sent: Monday, October 16, 2017 2:55 PM
To: Bob Stricklin <bstrick at N5BRG.COM>; hpsdr at lists.openhpsdr.org
Subject: RE: [hpsdr] PiHPSDR on RPi3 running Ubuntu Mate

Probably a silly question, but have you done the "retry discovery"? I don't get much better than 50% success rate on 1st attempt.

I don't know why there would be, but is there any firewall code involved? I had symptoms like you describe when I was running pihpsdr on a virtual machine; it turned out to be a VM networking issue that (eventually) I got round. But that shouldn't happen on the RPi itself.