[hpsdr] How to configure a hermes IP connection?

Bob Stricklin bstrick at N5BRG.COM
Sat Oct 28 04:48:58 PDT 2017

Jim,

I have recently been working on issues like this as well.

If you would like to determine the IP address currently programed in your Hermes you can program your computer with a static IP with a subnet of 255.0.0.0. Then connect the computer and the Hermes to your switch and ping 255.255.255.255 and the Hermes should respond with its IP address.

Both the computer and the Hermes should have a static IP for this to work because there will be no DHCP server available on your switch and I would assume your computer is not acting like a DHCP server.

The next option, and the one you may have to follow, is to reprogram the IP address of the Hermes. I have had good luck programming the Hermes with the Bootload program software. The first step is to get the programmer to discover the Hermes. Be sure to select the local network when doing this. You can program an IP address of 0.0.0.0 to put the Hermes back into DHCP mode.  I have updated the firmware in my Hermes to the most current firmware and this all still works.  I have a Bit Blaster programmer also but have had better luck with the programmer that Dave wrote.KV0S maintains.

I have had issues on a network I have which has many devices on the network. In this case the SDR radios do not always work. To do testing and programming when using DHCP I use an older router I have to build a small network.

Bob  N5BRG