[hpsdr] Hermes, no Firmware Update possibile

Dave Larsen kv0s.dave at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 09:28:43 PST 2018

Chris --

I think you have the use of the various programs confused  Bootloader use
PCAP protocal like Wireshark. Programmer uses UDP only and depends on the
last version of the firmware having the capability to communicate the to
Programers software.

At the Last TAPR DCC, I gave a talk to explain this topic.  The video of
the talk is at *openhpsdr.org/videos <http://openhpsdr.org/videos>* it is
the 2017 talk or the paper is at *openhpsdr.org/publications
<http://openhpsdr.org/publications>*

either of these should answer your questions.

Dave KV0S

On Sat, Feb 10, 2018 at 2:14 AM, Phil Harman <phil at pharman.org> wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> This happens if you don't have the Bootloader code installed in the Hermes
> EEPROM. In which case you have V3.1 in the lower half of the EEPROM and
> when you use the Programmer Software you load V3.3 into the upper half of
> the EEPROM.
>
> When the FPGA powers up it looks for the code in the lower half of the
> EEPROM.  If the Bootloader code is installed this tells the FPGA to start
> Bootloader code in place it will load V3.1.
>
> So, simple solution, get or borrow a USB Blaster and install the
> Bootloader code into the EEPROM and all will be well!
>
> 73 Phil...VK6PH
>

> -----Original Message----- From: Chris DG8DP
> Sent: Saturday, February 10, 2018 3:34 PM
> To: hpsdr at lists.openhpsdr.org
> Subject: Re: [hpsdr] Hermes, no Firmware Update possibile

> Of course I did everything in the right way and give time for every step.
> With Bootloader software it is NOT possible to program anything!
> See my mails before...
> The board is not answering with Bootloader software, with Programmer it
> does...
> See my link to the picture...
>
> Again, 2 different PC, different Setup, one has never seen any amateur
> radio software before.
> 3 different boards from 2 different users.
> All boards from the same Company (Gerd Loch)
>
> Back again to the main question, why is it not possible to get a response
> from the Board with the Bootloader Software?
> Why is the Programmer Software working as you see in my link (screenshot)
> before but coming back with the old version?
> So for both questions there must be only one answer, the boards are not
> entering the "update/ program" modus!
> But why?
>
> Is it possible that the 1st Stage loader, the pof file is broken while the
> use a corrupted file?
> Sorry I've no USB Blaster here to test it now.
>

> Vy 73 de DG8DP
> Chris
>
> www.dg8dp.de

KV0S - Dave Larsen