[hpsdr] piHPSDR on Raspberry Pi 3 B+

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Thu Jul 26 12:53:15 PDT 2018

I thought it would be neat to upgrade the processor in my Apache piHPSDR
console to the new RPi 3 B+.  Its CPU is about 15% faster, and there's a
big improvement in both wired and wi-fi networking.  The old board
couldn't quite handle 48 kHz sampling via wireless; I think the new one
might do it, though I haven't had a chance to thoroughly test yet.

The new board requires an updated operating system image.  I found a
pointer on the web showing how to do that (it involves magic
incantations) and have created an SD card image that will work on the 3
B+ as well as regular 3 B.  It also has the latest release of John's
pihpsdr software installed, along with some other utilities I downloaded
to do the updates.

I'm currently uploading the image file to my web site (it's 4.1 GB, so
takes a while...).  You'll be able to grab it at:

https://febo.com/pages/os_images/2018-07-26_pihpsdr_rpi3B+.zip

It will unzip to a 16GB image file.  Use your favorite tool to write
that to a 16GB or larger SD card, and you should be set to go.  The
image is based on the SD card shipped with the Apache Labs phHPSDR
console, with the updates mentioned above.

73,
John