[hpsdr] client/server over Internet

Ken N9VV n9vv at wowway.com
Wed Jun 20 05:04:48 PDT 2018

A "blast from the past";

Those interested in remote operation will enjoy reading about the
client/server suite developed by John Melton in 2010 called *ghpsdr3*

Use Google to search for *ghpsdr3 G0ORX* and you will find a wealth of
info.

I look forward to the future when John has rebuilt his QTH and has some
brain cycles to re-invent ghpsdr3 with the power and beauty of
*linHPSDR* (which he announced at F'Hafen);

<URL:https://openhpsdr.org/wiki/index.php?title=Ghpsdr3>

<URL:http://napan.ca/ghpsdr3/index.php/Main_Page>

<URL:http://g0orx.blogspot.com/>

GL 73 de Ken N-9-V-V

On 6/19/2018 10:26 AM, Roger Rehr W3SZ wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Amazingly, I was working on the following post when I saw this posting
> of Scott's!  I changed the Subject of this post to reflect the main
> content of this reply.
>
> However, before I place my post below, let me note that VBAudio's
> VoiceMeeter Banana CAN send VAC-type audio streams over the Ethernet
> using its VBAN facility, and I have experimented with doing just that
> and I have gotten excellent results (i.e. no problems detected) using my
> openHPSDR hardware with PowerSDR and the various WSJTX modes over a 5
> mile wireless 2.3 GHz Ethernet link.
>
> On 6/19/2018 9:43 AM, Scott Traurig wrote:
>> Unless and until we see a true client/server implementation for
>> openHPSDR radios (this includes but is not limited to Apache radios),
>> solutions for remote operations will remain a spit and bailing wire
>> affairs.
> Here is the post I was working onwhen I saw Scott's comment:
>
> It is truly wonderful to see all of the new activity on the reflector
> regarding DFC, Linux, the "new" protocol (which isn't so new anymore),
> midi controllers, etc.!  The announcements and discussions are
> generating lots of new ideas here, and I am sure many list readers are
> finding the same.
>
> One idea that I thought "the big boys" would have grabbed onto and run
> with long ago is the idea of having an architecture with a local client
> (maybe even a browser) that could communicate with multiple remote
> severs.  I know that a lot of folks have expressed a desire to operate
> remotely, and there have been postings to this list in this regard over
> the past several years.
>
> I implemented an architecture based on KissKonsole for doing this more
> than 2 years ago and have been using it on a daily basis with excellent
> results over the past 2 years.  But my implementation is [1] limited in
> scope and performance by my own intellectual and knowledgebase
> limitations, [2] highly specific to my needs here, and [3] of course
> does not contain the breadth and depth of features available, for
> example, in PowerSDR.  When I did this implementation, I expected that
> it would be a "stop-gap" measure to provide me this capability pending
> what I thought would be the soon-to-come arrival of a similar
> architecture written by someone with better software expertise than I.
> Unfortunately, that follow-on software has not arrived :(
>
> Thus, the purpose the this email is to implore the "big boys" to
> consider implementing such an architecture as the basis for one or more
> of their exciting new projects.
>
> My implementation currently handles up to 8 remote servers, any two of
> which can be "live" with full Tx/Rx capability at any one time, and all
> 8 of which have spectra/waterfalls continuously and simultaneously
> displayed by the client.  I would think that any new implementation
> should at least provide this level of capability.

> [...]

  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯