[hpsdr] My DFC Delusion?

Scott Traurig scott.traurig at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 17:51:15 PST 2018

Bryan,

The only architecture I've ever seen for the "DFC" approach has the raw ADC
samples being moved to a GPU via PCIE. No processing of the raw ADC samples
at all in the FPGA. The same is true for the DAC data stream, just raw DAC
data coming into the FPGA from the PCIE interface. In addition to this, no
more audio CODEC in the radio hardware, all audio I/O will be via VAC or
equivalent. The FPGA basically only does general housekeeping and PCIE data
transfer. That is the entire point of the architecture, to eliminate to the
maximum extent possible any FPGA code, to make that code extremely simple
and stable, and to be able to utilize smaller, less expensive FPGAs. This
way 90% of what is currently being done in the FPGA and which requires
Verilog coding and all the other FPGA folderol (timing closure, etc.) can
now be done more simply in C code in a GPU.

73,

Scott/w-u-2-o