[hpsdr] Hermes II

Joe Martin (k5so at k5so.com) k5so at k5so.com
Sun Nov 25 07:06:21 PST 2018

Hi Glen,

No, you’re incorrect in stating that I had anything to do with Minerva; I’ve never seen one of those boards and have never worked on any code for it.  Nor have I recently done very much in the way of HPSDR development.  But I’m not doing nothing on anything, I’m quite busy in fact!

Here I have been working along the lines of adapting the Orion board to do wideband/high-data-rate radio astronomy (RA) but have not been very successful with my Orion work in that regard to date.  I sometimes try to assist in the HPSDR projects if there’s a particular problem with an existing HPSDR/ANAN platform but not too often anymore as I am focused on solving the high data rate issues for my RA project.  One of the fundamental problems I have with high data rates and Orion is that the Windows environment appears to drop ethernet packets occasionally and that is not acceptable to my RA project.  Thus, I have recently moved to Debian Linux as my computer operating system for my radio astronomy project.  Indeed, at present I’m somewhat doubtful that I can ever make the Orion board do what I need it to do and therefore I will likely move to the Ettus hardware platforms anyway, which have been designed to do wide bandwidth acquisitions.

My understanding is that Phil has been the principal developer in the Minerva arena (pursuing the Direct Fourier Conversion approach) with occasional help from Warren I think and perhaps also from Doug and perhaps others of which I am not aware.  I am not in the loop on any Minerva nor Hermes II development effort so I personally have no idea where those suggested projects lie today.

I send this note simply to clarify my personal involvement and efforts.  Maybe someone can give an update on the thinking/status of the Minerva and Hermes II projects relative to the HPSDR community.

73, Joe K5SO