[hpsdr] Hermes II

Scott Traurig scott.traurig at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 06:49:16 PST 2018

It's not a money issue, it's all about the number of developers involved,
primarily on the client side. Forward progress or not, there seems to be a
surplus of people who enjoy hardware: Odyssey, Hermes II, Hermes Lite, the
Apache product line, Red Pitaya, etc. You can build/buy them all, some
easier than others. And all of them provide better than average to
outstanding performance because they are all essentially the same, or
similar, architectures.

But when you look at the client software side of things, all of the clients
have relatively rudimentary features sets in comparison to PowerSDR mRX,
dated as it is, and client development ranges from stalled to glacial
across the board, including PowerSDR mRX. At least PowerSDR mRX does show
some continued evolution.

Until there are 3 or 4 folks who are really interested in, and enjoy, SDR
client development specifically, the community is not going to see any
dramatic differences in SDR functionality or capability. Even Minerva will
not bring this about. It is an interesting, dare I say important,
experiment in the realization of a low cost, high performance, MINIMUM
FIRMWARE radio, but at the end of the day it's almost guaranteed we'll be
using the same old PowerSDR mRX client (or Thetis, which is functionally
the same thing) to run Minerva, which means we'll all be limited to the
current set of features in PowerSDR mRX.

The community needs an infusion of passionate client developers. There's no
way to pay people to be passionate about something. Passion for client side
development must be evangelized, not funded.

73!

Scott/w-u-2-o

On Sun, Nov 25, 2018 at 9:06 AM K4KV <k4kv at k4kv.com> wrote:

> <snip>

The only way we have of knowing anything is to listen to Teamspeak.