[hpsdr] NVIDIA Jetson Nano SBC - YouTube video

Brian Lloyd brian at lloyd.aero
Mon Apr 29 08:44:49 PDT 2019

On 4/29/19 10:13, Scott Traurig wrote:

> Chris, I don't subscribe to your form of digital veganism. While it's
> certainly your right to do what you want and express your opinion
> thereof, avoidance of Microsoft, or Amazon, or Google, or whoever, is,
> in my opinion, not apropos to a discussion of the merits of hardware
> selection. By the way, here is a very interesting series of articles
> on cutting "big data" out of your life:
> https://gizmodo.com/c/goodbye-big-five  As you can see, merely running
> Linux doesn't even come close to doing the trick.
>
> Shirley: I can't argue with you that the hardware is less expensive.
> However this comes with a price all of its own, which is that one will
> immediately take a large and demonstrable step backwards in
> capability. This is because the preponderance of openHPSDR
> functionality currently resides on the Windows platform in the form of
> PowerSDR mRX and Thetis. Any other client leaves gaping holes in the
> functionality of the radio.
>
> These embedded computing platforms would have a lot more merit if
> someone where to split PowerSDR/Thetis into thin client/server pieces,
> and the server could run on the inexpensive but reasonably powerful
> embedded platform. Alas, no one has taken on this challenge (and I
> can't because I'm not a software developer). Because I set the bar for
> radio functionality at the "PowerSDR or better" level, unless and
> until someone comes up with something that really is better,
> functionally not philosophically, then to me a Windows platform
> remains a must-have.
One of the key points of OpenHPSDR is that it is open. Linux has the
advantage that it is also open, unlike Microsoft Windows which is
anything BUT open. If I want to run PowerSDR/Thetis I have to pay money
to Microsoft and that bothers me. It pains me that there are all these
programs out there for updating this and that hardware that assume I
have a Windows machine. If you are going to make your application free
to use, why not put it on an OS that is also free to use rather than
assume I have paid for an OS?

We now have LinHPSDR. It supports protocols 1 and 2 of the HPSDR series
of radios concurrently. (Wow, already better than PowerSDR/Thetis in one
respect.) It appears to me to have a MUCH better potential for expansion
than does PowerSDR/Thetis. It is already logically more modular. It does
look like it is clearly moving in the direction you say you would like
to go (something more capable than PowerSDR/Thetis). The key is a
critical mass of people to use it and provide feedback to the builders
so that they have the motivation to keep developing.

So, no matter how deficient it seems now, I think I am going to abandon
PowerSDR/Thetis and focus on LinHPSDR for my future activities. The core
of digital communications exists now with fldigi running on the big-3
platforms: linux, macos, and windows. Looks like that has happened with
WSJT too. The need to run Windows because of a lack of applications for
linux (for hams specifically) seems to have pretty much gone away.

Scott, it is time. We have enough now to actually get on the air and do
nearly everything we want to do, without having to resort to running
Windows. It is time to repartition some disks.

73 de Brian, WB5BL

--

Brian Lloyd
706 Flightline