[hpsdr] NVIDIA Jetson Nano SBC - YouTube video

Scott Traurig scott.traurig at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 08:13:40 PDT 2019

Chris, I don't subscribe to your form of digital veganism. While it's
certainly your right to do what you want and express your opinion thereof,
avoidance of Microsoft, or Amazon, or Google, or whoever, is, in my
opinion, not apropos to a discussion of the merits of hardware selection.
By the way, here is a very interesting series of articles on cutting "big
data" out of your life:  https://gizmodo.com/c/goodbye-big-five  As you can
see, merely running Linux doesn't even come close to doing the trick.

Shirley: I can't argue with you that the hardware is less expensive.
However this comes with a price all of its own, which is that one will
immediately take a large and demonstrable step backwards in capability.
This is because the preponderance of openHPSDR functionality currently
resides on the Windows platform in the form of PowerSDR mRX and Thetis. Any
other client leaves gaping holes in the functionality of the radio.

These embedded computing platforms would have a lot more merit if someone
where to split PowerSDR/Thetis into thin client/server pieces, and the
server could run on the inexpensive but reasonably powerful embedded
platform. Alas, no one has taken on this challenge (and I can't because I'm
not a software developer). Because I set the bar for radio functionality at
the "PowerSDR or better" level, unless and until someone comes up with
something that really is better, functionally not philosophically, then to
me a Windows platform remains a must-have.

73,

Scott/w-u-2-o