[hpsdr] TeamSpeak audio 2019/Dec/28

Scott Traurig scott.traurig at gmail.com
Sat Dec 28 10:36:52 PST 2019

I was actually pretty disappointed. There is a high degree of fascination
with new, shiny hardware, but people have yet to scratch the surface of
what the current hardware can do.

The only reason that we are not listening to seven or more, independent,
1.5MHz bandwidth IF processors, each capable of tens of independent
receivers, each with an independent virtual audio interface, is because
nobody has bothered to write the software, and to a lesser extent, the
firmware (let's just call that software, too). The Hermes and Hermes
derivative hardware that we have is very capable of doing this with even
moderate PC processing, and certainly with CUDA GPU support. Indeed, it can
cough up more than any phone or CW can effectively use, and probably more
than any digital mode aficionado can use as well. Is more than that really
necessary?

What's missing from our current SDRs is software, not hardware. And every
time someone gets excited about new hardware, we get the same old software.
Because it doesn't take a lot of software to demonstrate that the hardware
works. And then the folks who enjoy doing the hardware get bored with their
success and move on to the next shiny new hardware.

Similarly, there are, IMHO, important feature gaps in the existing
software. For example, a true thin-client/server architecture that allows
remote operation. This capability is extremely popular. But the openHPSDR
community doesn't have it. New hardware isn't necessary to get it. New
software is.

If this sounds like complaining I suppose it is. And it's not really fair
for me to complain because I don't contribute any software, either, and
because people should get to work on whatever it is they want to work on.
But the observation is valid nonetheless, and I would love to see all of
that effort on new bits of hardware focused instead on more and better
software.

73,

Scott/w-u-2-o