[hpsdr] Anan 10 , remote use on LAN

Scott Traurig scott.traurig at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 19:07:52 PDT 2019

Jim,

Please see below...

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 6:24 PM Jim Sanford <wb4gcs at wb4gcs.org> wrote:

> Scotty:
>
> Very interesting.  Had not heard of VMB before, will check it out.
>
> However, I have been looking for a solution that doesn't rely on Windows,
> with all it's latency problems.

You cannot avoid Windows. The radio is 90% Windows software and 10%
hardware due to the thick client architecture. And the audio latency via
VAC is actually *LESS* than it is using what amounts to a custom soundcard
in the hardware unit. The audio path using the built-in audio hardware is
more torturous than VAC. See:

https://apache-labs.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2612

Therefore there is absolutely NO reason to avoid VAC related audio
solutions.

> My vision is to remote the SDR at the tower 350 feet from the house.
> Conection will be "wired" via fiber.

I effectively do this exact thing, although it's only about 100 feet of CAT
5 to my basement. Take a look at my qrz.com page, click the links and read
the description of my station. And I handle all audio using VAC.

> I visualize a RaspbeerryPi at each end with 1 or 2 sound cards to allow 2
> or 4 channels of audio to go each way.  (One SDR on HF, one on
> UHF/microwaves).  Wonder if you have run across any pointers?

This will be a total waste of your time and will create far more latency
and complexity than simply using VAC and Voicemeeter Potato.

> I'll check out VMB -- may be good enough to get me started.

You can use Banana, but I'd recommend Potato: "VMP" :-)

73,

Scott/w-u-2-o