[hpsdr] Possible added feature request

Glenn Thomas glennt at gbis.com
Tue Nov 3 13:03:55 PST 2020

If a coupler has problems, an alternative might be to tune for maximum
current on the outgoing transmission line. That has the disadvantage of
needing to run enough power to provide measurable current, but a thermal
RF ammeter of some type won't care much about frequency... That's one
way of "tuning for maximum smoke"!

73 de Glenn wb6w

On 11/3/2020 11:38 AM, radio at netins.net wrote:

> Using SWR is done when tuning L networks, but would like to try adding
> stepper motors to a Johnson Viking Matchbox so I can use it.
>
> I can't seem to come up with a method to tune for minimum SWR.  I
> suppose one would adjust first the tuning and step the loading one way
> or the other and use the low SWR position to hold for the next
> iteration.  Then repeat that process over and over.
>
> I have been told it is quite difficult to make a directional coupler
> that works well over the 160 - 6m range, but a calibration file could
> be made at the antenna system feed point (input side of Matchbox) that
> might get a close enough calibration to use for tuning.
>
> John,  W0GN

Here is Schrodinger's Epistemic Virus.
We don't know that we have it because we can't be tested.
We don't want to spread it, so we act as if we have it.
We don't want to catch it, because we have no justification to believe we're immune.
Thus, we have the virus
   ...and at the same time don't have the virus
   ...and also reserve judgement on the matter.
Hence Schrodinger's Epistemic Virus.