[hpsdr] Possible added feature request

Helmut Oeller dc6ny at gmx.de
Tue Nov 3 23:46:12 PST 2020

Scott, your reference suffers from a fundamental design fault: The balun
between the LC network and the symmetrical input port will not work as
expected or provide suffient common mode rejection (> 30 dB) on the 50
ohms coax side. The balun needs for efficiency a constant Z. Either you
spend a symmetrical LC network or let a unsymmetrical LC combination
float. But in each case the balun has to be placed at the 50 ohms side.

BTW bidirectional couplers with 5 octaves bandwidth are available from
different manufacturers and vendors. Keep in mind that the directivity
of the coupler should be > 20dB.

73, Helmut, DC6NY