[hpsdr] HPSDR(Mercury, Pannylane, adn Metiz) and PowerSDR version

Dave Larsen kv0s.dave at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 19:56:44 PDT 2021

Tokio

The problem is that the  board set has a separate FPGA on each board.  The
Hermes has only one FPGA so the programming is simpler

You can use Programmer to program the metis board then use the metis board
as a jtag programmer to load the images into the mercury and Penelope or
Pennylane.

The manuals explain this process.

Dave KV0S

On Sat, Oct 16, 2021 at 9:41 PM Tokio <endotokio at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Pete, Helmut, All,
>
> I tried to flash my Penelope(TAPR) by HPSDRProgrammer_V2_nopcap 2.0. This
> software identifies Metis board with success.
> The question is whether I can flash Penelope through Metis. The Programmer
> is complaining the rbf file name is incorrect. I put the name "
> Penelope_v1.8.rbf"  I've just downloaded.
> Several years ago,  when I used to use Penelope, I updated the firmware by
> using Altera Development Software. But the installation required a lot of
> time. So I would like to use a more elegant way.
>
> 73,
> Tokio
>
> 2021年10月17日(日) 10:26 Tokio <endotokio at gmail.com>:
>
>> Hi Helmut,
>>
>> Thank you for your email.
>> Pennylane is uncontrollable in terms of Drive. Regardless of Drive Level,
>> the output of Pennylane is around 30dBm. I measured the power at the output
>> of penny, no post-amp for this measurement.
>> I would like to change the firmware of Penny.
>>
>> 73,
>> Tokio
>> JA1CCA
>>
>> 2021年10月17日(日) 0:58 Helmut Oeller <dc6ny at gmx.de>:
>>
>>> ***** High Performance Software Defined Radio Discussion List *****
>>>
>>> Hi Tokio,
>>>
>>> if I recall correctly 'drive control' is done by  varying  the DAC
>>> current. Hence I would suggest to check first the real Penny RF output
>>> power without any post-amplifier:
>>>
>>> PA settings 38 dB, drive power 100 percent, apply 'Tune button' and
>>> don't forget to select 'use drive power' in 'transmit/tune' window.
>>>
>>> Output power should be around 500 mW @ 2 - 21 MHz, then power drops to
>>> 200 - 400 mW. The TX meter in PowerSDR shows slightly different values.
>>> If all is ok, you can test the 'drive power' variation and measure how
>>> far output followes the 'drive control'.
>>>
>>> 73, Helmut, DC6NY

KV0S - Dave Larsen
Columbia, MO, USA