[hpsdr] Phoenix

Helmut Oeller oeller at freenet.de
Sat Apr 15 05:22:21 PDT 2023

Hi,

Just my 2 cts: When Phil, VK6PH, presented his DFC idea at the SDR
Academy 2016 (HR Friedrichshafen) he spoke about a firehose to fill the
total amount of digital data (1. Nquist zone) directly into a PC for
processing. This is certainly an interesting approach for (presently)
frequencies up to 50 MHz. But e.g. compared with HERMES I can't detect
any benefit of the important RF performance as the ADC/DAC is the
limiting factor (IM,blocking, phase noise etc.)

Our experience 7 years later: the promising development of the new
HERMES 2 providing two independent RX ports died on the way to the
layout of the board. Cheap derivates like Red Pitaya and Chinese clones
became the favorite SDR for homebrewing hams. The industry's trend to
higher bandwidths and microwave frequencies created new RF transceiver
chips with preamps, IQ-mixer, RX/TX-synthesizer etc. on board. The
AD9361 is covering 47 MHz to 6 GHz while der LMS7002 starts at 100 kHz
up to 3.8 GHz at cost far below USD 50. Microwave SDRs for ham
application could be built for less than USD 200. Excellent QO-100
satellite communiction in full-duplex SSB mode is now possible for the
ham community covering at least one third of the world's surface.

Please don't forget, that nothing is more frustrating for a developer,
when after a long work no interest or application can be generated.

73, Helmut, DC6NY