[hpsdr] Phoenix

Helmut Oeller dc6ny at gmx.de
Sat Apr 15 08:46:50 PDT 2023

Hi Steve,

thanks for your clarifications and your motivation. It was never my
intention to slowdown your drive and I don't want to dive deeper into a
technic and economic discussion about the concept details. You asked for
guidelines of a reliable frontend:

1. to lift the typical noise figure of the ADC around 40dB, at least
for  f>10 MHz a preamp with 20 dB gain is necessary.

2. on the other hand ADC clipping must be prevented due to too much
gain: 31dB step att like Hermes or 20 dB fix att like Mercury will help.

3. Antialiasing filtering is mandatory: LPF for 1. Nyquist. If the
concept allows undersampling, seperate BPF filters with reasonable
stopband attenuation are to provide.

73, DC6NY