[hpsdr] dumb question

Helmut Oeller dc6ny at gmx.de
Fri May 12 02:55:24 PDT 2023

Hi Rod,

there are no dumb questions, there are only dumb answers :)

It seems that more competing releases are on the market:

https://github.com/ramdor/Thetis-2.9.0/releases  advertises Thetis
2.9.0.8  while https://github.com/TAPR/OpenHPSDR-Thetis promotes Thetis
2.9.0.3.

In either case it will do to uninstall your current version and in
install the new one. No intermediate step is necessary.

These Thetis versions can communicate with Protocol 1 as well with
Protocol 2 firmware loaded in the SDR hardware. You mentioned that you
are not interested in Protocol 2, i.e. your radio hardware is equipped
with Protocol 1 firmware. In that case the question is why your love
Thetis at all: Compared with the well-tried PowerSDR 3.4.9 you are
collecting more drawbacks than benefits:

1. Thetis consumes (wastes) 3(!) times more CPU power than PowerSDR 3.4.9

2. Many user of Hermes boards and HPSDR derivates report under Thetis
about massive problems with PS.

3. Sampling rates > 384 k or wideband are not available under Protocol 2

Hope this reply was not too dumb, hi.

73, Helmut, DC6NY