[hpsdr] Penelope versus Penny(Lane)

George Byrkit ghbyrkit at chartermi.net
Sat Jun 15 04:16:58 PDT 2024

Dear Merv,

They are 'essentially' the same, but are different.  They do take the same firmware.  There is usually one checkbox, and in some software it may say 'Penny/Penelope' or similar.

I've seen 0 for version numbers before...

Since you are using an Atlas bus, boards must be in adjacent slots (no empty slots), and the 'I2C' jumpers need to be fitted to the boards so that some signals pass thru.  This is required to be able to interrogate the boards and get back a version number.  If you have an incompatible firmware set (among Ozy/Magister/Metis, Penny/Penelope, and Mercury), then the signals may not pass thru properly.

I'm not sure where the exact info is, as I'm re-configuring computers these days.

73,
George K9TRV