[hpsdr] Penelope versus Penny(Lane)

Jim Sanford wb4gcs at wb4gcs.org
Sat Jun 15 04:29:15 PDT 2024

Going back MANY years, my memory is as follows:

Penny(lane) adjusts output power using digital input to the DAC. This
effectively reduces the number of bits at low powers, which reduces
resolution.

Penelope adjusts output power by adjusting the voltage reference to the
DAC, allowing full resolution using all bits in the DAC. ALLEGEDLY, this
provides a cleaner signal at low powers than Penny.

That is what I remember, standing by to be corrected by those smarter
than me.

Related but maybe off topic:

When I want low power (like to drive a 1.5KW amp with high gain), i put
an attenuator between the exciter and the PennyWhistle amp. This lets me
run the exciter closer to MAX, but still get whatever power I want to
drive the amplifier.  Max output from the exciter board is 0.5W, so you
don't need expensive attenuators.

Good luck and 73,

Jim

wb4gcs at amsat.org