[hpsdr] libusb and GPL (was PlayStation 3)

Bill Tracey bill at ewjt.com
Sun Dec 10 09:09:45 PST 2006

Actually libusb-win32 had an access DLL, driver, installer and other
gorp.  The access DLL appears to be under the LGPL (see:
http://libusb-win32.sourceforge.net/#license ) while the rest is under the
GPL.  So I think you'd be able to talk to Ozy/Janus using the LGPL'd libsub
dll and not incur the obligations of the GPL in your program that uses that
DLL.

My (non lawyer,  software professional) understanding of the (L)GPL is that
the obligations of the GPL do not end at a DLL boundary, but at a process
boundary.  That is the GPL is defined in terms of a program, and most
interpretations I've gotten on the meaning of program in the context of the
GPL is that which is in a single process's address space.  So if you have
an .exe that uses a GPL'd DLL (or has GPL code embedded into it)  all of
the code accessed by the process is subject to the GPL (with some
exceptions for compiler and system libraries as called out in the
GPL).    Things that are in the kernel (transistion to supervisor mode) are
not subject to the GPL because they are not considered to be a part of the
process.

Others have different interpretations, this the advice I've gotten using
(L)GPL code in commercial projects and I've had a hard time arguing the
definition of program so I've come to accept this interpretation   If it
really matters to you, contact a good IP Lawyer might be in order.

Cheers,

Bill  (kd5tfd)