[hpsdr] FW: To kit or not to kit...............

Henry Vredegoor henry.vredegoor at gmail.com
Sat Jul 22 07:45:45 PDT 2006

2nd attempt.

Sorry, sent from wrong account......

Henry.

-----Original Message-----
From: Henry Vredegoor [mailto:henry_vredegoor at hotmail.com]
Sent: zaterdag 22 juli 2006 13:00
To: hpsdr at hpsdr.org
Subject: To kit or not to kit...............

Hi everybody,

I'm sorry to say and I don't want to offend anybody, but I do not understand
why some of you so eagerly want to assemble/solder the SMD parts of these
project boards by hand.
Let's face it: This type of technology is not intended to be done by
human's, but by a specialized high precision machine.

Of coarse, it CAN be done by hand, as many contributions on this list and
the work by the developers indicate, but only as the last option in my
opinion.

This is not the situation where an individual person has created some
application for himself and has to compromise and get all the parts by
himself, assemble and solder a single board himself etc. etc.

No, we have a unique opportunity to have a large(-r) number of boards
professionally manufactured and assembled (and possibly tested) for a
relatively low amount of money.

The main benefit would be the much higher reliability of the boards as
compared to doing things by hand.
This is a good thing for a complex project as HPSDR is. (going to be)

It also would greatly simplify the work involved by TAPR also (no assembly
of kits)

For those of you who wish to start experimenting with SMD techniques, IMO it
would be wiser to start with a separate, smaller and simpler project, rather
than ''jump into the deep'' right away with one these complex project boards
(that is my planning anyway) and later maybe use the prototyping board to
experiment with SMD ''within'' HPSDR.

So my vote would go to the fully assembled and if possible also tested
board.
If not possible or to expensive, please have at least all the SMD parts
mounted.

Mabe if we foresee a partially assembled board (SMD mounted only) being
delivered by TAPR, we should if possible incorporate (if not already) some
(extra-) testpoints and a simple test facility to do some basic testing of
the not fully assembled boards before shipment to and by the buyers?

Regards,

Henry.