[hpsdr] SMT Soldering and Circuit Board Heat Question

Cecil Bayona kd5nwa at cox.net
Sun Jul 30 10:59:40 PDT 2006

The main problem with hot plates is the uneveness of the temperature on the
board because of not making consistent contact with the plate.

What if you are making a double sided board? Any components on the plate side
are going to get all the heat while the board doesn't touch the plate at all.

The use of an oven or heated air from a enbossing gun will go further at
making sure that the board has even heat.

I have tried both methods and both work quite well in terms of not overheating
the board in some places.

I have a little tutorial at this link as well as a link to Olsen's air method.

< http://www.hpsdr.com/Public/Projects/SMT/SMT.html >