[hpsdr] [OZY-USB] REVXA.6 PCB and CAM files posted for review

Philip Covington p.covington at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 09:39:35 PDT 2006

Hi Lyle,

On 6/7/06, Lyle Johnson <kk7p at wavecable.com> wrote:
> Hello Phil!
>
> > If there are no big show stoppers the OZY-USB will be ready for alpha.
>
> Some observations:
>
> 1) It appears the design rules are 8 mil trace, 8 mil space.  Correct?

Actually 7 and 7.

> 2) It might be handy to have a dot, or a numeral 1, or other indicator
> showing pin 1 on HDR1, HDR2, J2, J11.  The bodies of the parts will
> cover the square pads and silkscreen boxes.

Done with a line to indicate pin 1

> 3) Similarly, several of the ICs have no clear indication of polarity:
> U13, U7, U4, U5...

Some were hidden by vias on the assy print.  I made the pin 1
designators clearer on those ICs.

> 4) Is it worth putting a ground pad near an edge of Y1 so we can
> (optionally) ground the crystal case to reduce radiation from it?

Yes, done!

> 5) The diodes (D1-D13) have no polarity marking visible on the
> silkscreen or on the pads.

Anodes are now marked "a"

> 6) The silkscreen "3.3V" is under the tab of U1 - bad for soldering and
> the info is covered when the part is installed.

Moved.

> 7) Similar comment for "1.2V" under the tab at U15.

Moved.

> 8) The silkscreen line width at P1 seems too narrow.

There were a few set to a line width of 5... I corrected those.

> 9) I tend to do a renumber of the reference designators after I lay the
> board out so the part references increment in an easily recognized
> pattern.  Especially when troubleshooting a prototype, it makes locating
> a part much faster.  This results in a more random distribution of
> designators on the schematic, but there you are mostly looking for
> function and not physical placement mapping.

Hadn't renumbered yet pending the review of XA.6.  REVXA.7 has had the
renumbering done.

> ***
>
> I am looking forward to building this beast!
>
> 73,
>
> Lyle KK7P

We should be able to make alphas soon I hope.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

73 de Phil N8VB