[hpsdr] Atlas Bus Question/Comment

Alex harvilchuck at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 13 13:46:36 PDT 2006

----- Original Message ----

>One concern I have for this architecture is the isolation of digital and RF
>signals.  Trying to sandwich a sensitive RF receiver in between boards an
>inch apart containing lots of clocks and digital signals is kinda scary.  It
>can be done (Winradio has a PCI card radio) but requires a LOT of shielding
>and routing tricks.

Yes. The front-ends are going to have to go into shielded boxes with connections back into the rest of the system (they're not going to be able to be plugin cards). More sheilding will have to be done on the other cards also.

Focus has been on getting ATLAS/OZY/JANUS out the door as a high-end soundcard replacement for use by persons who have purchased the SDR marketed by he-who-shall-not-be-named.  : )
Now that the first goal (ATLAS/OZY/JANUS) is going out the door, the design teams can look at MERCURY/HORTON/CASMIR and the rest of the cards required to build a High Performance Software Defined Radio.

More design team contributors are always appreciated.  : ) Or software authors...

Alex, N3NP