[hpsdr] HPSDR Context - high-level viewof how the cards fit together (DRAFT)

Alex harvilchuck at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 13 18:13:38 PDT 2006

Bob,
>Some of it does not fit with what I thought was happening.

That's why I drew it. We need to make sure we're all cear and in agreement on the design.

I think we're going to need a common front-end board for CASMIR and HORTON, I'm calling that COPERNICUS.
If we want to use the front-end for MERCURY, that's good too.

Why a common front end? Because it seems a bit uneconomical duplicating bandpass filters on CASMIR and HORTON.
Why not put them on another board so if some better, faster, etc. whizbang-doohicky comes out (either a better modulator/demodulator, mixer, DAC or ADC) we don't have to scrap out the entire transmitter or receiver chain (just part of it).

So COPERNICUS has some filtering and maybe an amp. Should the mixer/modulator/demodulator be there too?
One benefit I can see is to help isolate, with a nice steel box, the mixer/modulator/demodulator and the latter portions of the RF chain from the rest of the system.

Doesn't personally matter to me which way we go, I just want to get the thing built.  : )

Alex, N3NP