[hpsdr] Xilinx Coregen DDS

Eric Blossom eb at comsec.com
Wed Jun 14 10:04:56 PDT 2006

On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 11:56:30AM +0100, Leon Heller wrote:

> As an exercise, I tried generating the simplest possible DDS with the
> CoreGen - 100 MHz clock input, fixed 5 MHz single sine output, six bits.
> Here is the VHDL it generated:

Hi folks,

No offense meant to the Xilinx and/or Altera people on the list, but
given the goals of this group, we'd be better served by ensuring that
we are not using any vendor supplied code generators.

Looking at the generated output seems like a reasonable thing to do.
However, actually using it seems like a step in the wrong direction.

It wouldn't be a big deal to write some python/lisp/perl/... code that
given a set of parameters would generate a CORDIC based DDS, or for
that matter, handle the fixed output frequency in the example.  Once
the generator was written once, we'd have a piece of free software
that could be used over and over, independent of the part or tool
vendor chosen for a particular project.

Eric
K7GNU