[hpsdr] Xilinx Coregen DDS

KD5NWA kd5nwa at cox.net
Wed Jun 14 19:29:31 PDT 2006

How do I put this, no I do not have the evaluation version. Those are
only good from 30 to 90 days depending on the package. I have a fully
operational version good for one year*. That is not available with
8.1i because I don't have the proper registration number for it. I
registered 7.1i like you would register a bought product, the
evaluation version does not require a unique registration number from
you, after login in and entering the number they provide you at their
web site for evaluating the software it send you a number via email.
I went to a section instead for purchased products and had to enter
the registration number that came with the software. When I tried the
software the first time it told me I had 365 days until I needed a new license.

I bought two different evaluation packs, one from Digilent and one
from Xilinx, the Digilent package had the trial versions of the other
software and  WebPack, the Xilinx package however was different, it
had registration numbers on all the CD's, so that was the one I installed.

I had my doubts also as to whether it was the real thing or not,  so
I compile one of the sample CPU's and let it run the demo, a week
later it was still running the demo, so I'm fairly sure I have the
real thing. Maybe it was put in by mistake, some of the Virtex 4 demo
boards have the real software in them.  I'm not sure what happened
but I took no chances, I immediately made copies of my CD's. I might
be stuck on 7.1i if I want the goodies but that doesn't bother me.

*The protection on the software is a joke, if you remove it then
re-install it the period starts from scratch, if you set the date 10
years ahead then install the software and reset you clock back it
think you have 10 years before needing a license.

Right now I'm switching my PC's to Linux, when it gets more settled,
I will install the Linux version and see if it runs in Ubuntu Linux,
if not then there is VMWare and a virtual XP partition.