[hpsdr] [OT] Shipping container overload

Leon Heller leon.heller at bulldoghome.com
Wed Mar 15 11:36:04 PST 2006

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Christopher T. Day
  To: High Performance Software Defined Radio Discussion List
  Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 7:26 PM
  Subject: [hpsdr] [OT] Shipping container overload

  I've been musing on the idea that nobody seems to be using the FX2 as anything but a mindless USB engine. I personally would like to see it used to provide a USB interface that follows the USB spec for Audio Devices. I presume I'll have to do that myself, but it's slow going so far. Anyway, the idea arose in my head that the 16KB of on-board RAM might not be enough. So, for potential future use, I asked Cypress for a sample of the 128-pin version that allows off-chip RAM - strictly for my own amusement at this point.

  So, to the point: when the sample arrived, it was enclosed in the most elaborate shipping package I have seen so far. The package is about 6.5" x 13" in a vacuum sealed aluminized bag with a big sticker announcing that it contains a Level-3 Moisture Sensitive Device - Do Not Open Except Under Controlled Conditions. The somewhat illegible text goes on to say that the device should last a year if the bag is unopened and kept below 260C, but if reflow soldered or other high temperature process is used, it must be done within 168 hours of opening if the weather ain't right (not their words) or baked or a bunch of other stuff. It also includes the interesting information that the chip lived free for 4 hour and 20 minutes between manufacturing and package sealing.

  From my quick Googling, this all seems to have been brought on by the Pb-free initiatives and consequent higher soldering temperatures with worries that steam production could damage the part. My question is:

              If I use a soldering iron as we usually do, should I worry about all this?

I've never had any problems. Reflow soldering is different, the whole package gets heated.

73, Leon

--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
leon.heller at bulldoghome.com