[hpsdr] hpsdr Digest, Vol 3, Issue 26

Achim Vollhardt avollhar at physik.unizh.ch
Thu May 18 13:11:04 PDT 2006

Dear Steve and Alex,
I think we have to decide on what we want. Using an HP10811 or
equivalent will give us 1E-11 accuracy. Nice for GHZ applications, but
even there needed only for very few applications. I would say 1e-8 is
totally sufficient for 99% of hamradio applications. And then, a simple
OCXO connected to any GPS engine will do it.. most have 1pps accuracy of
100ns which is 1e-7.. on HF(30 MHz) this is 3 Hz. If we want to push the
envelope slightly more, 1e-8 should be fine (that would be an M12-class
GPS rx), but do we need more for the HPSDR? I would opt for an external
input.. anyhow, an HP10811 will never fit into the HPSDR enclusure :)

73s Achim, DH2VA