[hpsdr] [OZY] QFP or BGA?

Eric Blossom eb at comsec.com
Thu May 11 08:55:03 PDT 2006

On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 10:42:37AM -0400, Philip Covington wrote:

> Hi group,
>
> Let's have a yes/no vote on using BGAs in the HPSDR project.

I'm totally sympathetic to the desire for more i/o's.

Have you found an assembly house that will do low-volume BGA assembly
at a reasonable price?  Without x-ray equipment it's tough to check
the quality of the work.  The other potential downside is that high
pin-count BGA's often force you to add additional layers to be able to
route everything out, though it might not be an issue with the 256 pin
package.

If you've got a way to assembly them, I'd vote "yes".

Eric