[hpsdr] Question - audio noise and Janus

Robert McGwier rwmcgwier at comcast.net
Sun May 14 08:45:31 PDT 2006

Richard:

The part we are using is on the Lynx L22 and other Lynx cards:

http://www.lynxstudio.com/products.html

and the Creative Emu family:

http://www.creative.com/products/welcome.asp?category=237&

These are the finest professional audio cards and the basis for this
fine performance is the Akashi chip.

With a lesser chip in terms of its specifications  (the one on the Delta
44)  we take the output of the QSD/ IQ Mixer in the SDR-1000 and get
+28 dBm IP3, and 100 dB of IMD-DR at 2 kHz (and if any lab could measure
it,  those numbers would be the same down to a few Hz).    The
linearity, isolation,  noise floor, etc. of the Akashi will allow us to
exeed these numbers without changing the SDR-1000 hardware in any way.
After Gerald and I did all of our hacking on the SDR-1000 front end,
changing the RF amplifier,  integration time constants,  gain
management, etc.  Gerald could not easily make changes that would
improve that hardware.  I can attest to these facts because I own the
Lynx L22 and the dynamic range, sensitivity, etc. of the SDR-1000 are
IMPROVED over the Delta 44.  If would be hard for me to recommend to
people to buy a $1200 sound card to use on a $1400 radio.  I will be
able to recommend people use the Akashi based Janus without reservation
unless we run into a major stumbling block.  The people involved here
will test the thing and you can bet it will get an unvarnished opinion
about its performance.  ;-).

Bob
N4HY

P.S.
The numbers I quote are available in the ARRL review of the SDR-1000
available from the flex site.