[hpsdr] High Accuracy Timing for HPSDR

Achim Vollhardt avollhar at physik.unizh.ch
Tue May 16 23:15:30 PDT 2006

Hello Steven, Bob, Lyle and all,

believe it or not friends, I have been following the HPSDR project for a
while (need some new motivation after my PICaSTAR works.. thanks Lyle!).
Now that you are looking for some help on 'Gibraltar', maybe I can be of
use, as I am currently building two GPSDOs:

- #1 (the 'god' source') with HP10811, the famous Brooks Shera
controller and a Jupiter-T from G3RUH
- #2 with an ISOTEMP OCXO, A Jupiter-11 (not -T) and a simple PLL

Have been in contact with a colleague at AMSAT-DL who gave me some
valuable information about stabilizing OCXOs..

Now to the point, as there seems to be a problem in getting a timing GPS
receiver. Have a look at the LEA-4T from www.ublox.com

ok, it is not cheap (179 USD), BUT:

- you can buy them in single quantities
- works indoors (!)
- 15ns 1-sigma accuracy
- 1-Satellite GPS timing
- USB and RS-232 interface
- 17 x 22.4 mm

and I can pass by their HQ, as it is no 10 minutes away from here
(Zuerich, Switzerland).

If there is interest, I can source more info..

Disclaimer: I am NOT connected in any way to this company.. I bought
once a GPS antenna from them.. that's all.

73s Achim, DH2VA