[hpsdr] Some thoughts on plug-in board layout

Philip Covington p.covington at gmail.com
Thu May 25 17:59:29 PDT 2006

On 5/25/06, Lyle Johnson <kk7p at wavecable.com> wrote:

> Hello Steve!
>
> I haven't taken the time to study the drawing yet.  I took a micrometer
> to my connector, got the shell left edge set back as near as I could
> tell from Phil C's drawing, and then let the PCB layout tool tell me
> where pin 1 is.
>
> I *must* get this Janus layout out of my thinning hair and get back to
> my paying job!  The rent is coming due...
>
> 73,
>
> Lyle KK7P

Hi Lyle,

I will modify my drawing to fit the placement of the DIN41612 you come up with.

Guys, the drawing was just a suggestion!  Please don't take it as a
specification until we all agree that it is realistic.
+/- a few mm here and there isn't going to hurt anything I don't
think.  It appears to me that the side of the board that gets the
external connector (the ones that protrude outside of the ATX case -
where PCI cards have the mounting bracket) needs to overhang the edge
of the ATLAS by >= 12mm to allow some clearance in the ATX case for
ATLAS mounting.

I am depending on Lyle telling me what the results of his re-layout of
the JANUS before I modify the drawing.

As far as the other edges of the plug-in boards, I would think that
there could be connectors placed for internal connections (internal to
the ATX case or whatever enclosure you use).  Maybe we should agree on
an area for those internal connectors - but I think as soon as we do
there will be need to expand whatever we decide on ;-).

The XYL and I are going to be out of town from tomorrow afternoon
until Monday night so I may be incommunicado while we are gone.  If I
can find a wireless connection I may check my emails though.

Everyone have a safe and happy Memorial Day (at least in the States).

73 de Phil N8VB